Exercise Guidelines for Puppies
- These are our best recommendations based on the available studies and our 32 years of experience with Bull Terriers. Best practices for different breeds may not be the same.
- I am not a veterinarian and this is not intended as veterinary advice. You should always consult your breeder and veterinarian about the best exercise program for your puppy.
- There will be a differences in recommendations based on your dog’s breed. Giant breed puppies’ growth plates tend to close later and small breed puppies' growth plates close earlier.
- There are also breed-specific orthopedic concerns which are not addressed here.
- If your puppy was neutered before 18 months old he will have some delay in growth plate closure, so you should adopt more conservative guidelines.
- For any dog that you wish to enroll in a strenuous performance career, we highly recommend doing x-rays to confirm growth plate closure before proceeding with any intense training.
- All content © 2015 Puppy Culture